Soft Prawn

Thought whoring and verbal pimping

Monday, March 06, 2006

How to violate human rights in your spare time

This is my first current news article. Laminate it for future generations.

In the varsity newspaper today there was an article about a group of freshmen complaining that their right of religion has been violated. And what pray tell violated this most sacred-when-it-suits-us of rights? It seems that they attended a motivational speech that was NOT christian oriented. In fact it was totally devoid of all religious references and purely dealt with motivational skills out of a secular psychological perspective. THE HORROR. Totally trampling over all their god-given human rights in the process it seems. (I'll stop with the puns, just not anytime soon).

The worst thing is I'm not so sure the varsity newspaper reported this in the same spirit that I read this. As previously quickly noted I attend a very conservative university that actually up to a few years ago labelled itself as christian-oriented in its title. The constitution finally caught up to this idea and we're now just North West University (as original a place as it sounds). But it seems old habits die hard and now they are actually complaining about the absence of something that in any normal place would rather have caused the controversy.

Amazing. Sometimes I pinch myself just to make sure I haven't succumbed and ended up in christian heaven. Only the absence of incessant singing indicates that I still inhabit this vale of tears.

1 Comments:

At 10:58 pm, Blogger kahiti said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

It seems everybody always has something to complain about. Having the "right of religion" violated in such a way is something new to me. The right is to practice whatever religion, & NOT to force it on others!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home